Monday, April 22, 2013

Tilapia, Sweet Potatoes, and Asparagus

I've been a slacker since Christmas in the eating healthy department. I fell out of the habit of using myfitnesspal and have been eating junk. I've been trying really hard to rectify that lately.

I've been using my app again and have been increasing the intensity level of my workouts to burn more calories. More calories means more chocolate!! :)

I am NOT a believer that everything that's delicious and wonderful in the world should be cut out of a diet. I, for one, would collapse on myself like a dying star if that happened. I love my candy, French fries, hamburgers, and Cafe Rio almost as much as my own child. I know, I know, sugar is harmful, certain foods make your body hold on to fat, blah, blah, blah. I don't think that's nonsense, I just don't care. I'm not trying to lose any weight, just maintain a healthy physique.

But I do believe in counting calories. You simply have to burn more than you consume to get any results. So I try really hard to stay within my calorie budget each day. I eat healthier when I have the choice (wheat bread, lots of veggies, less salt and butter, etc) but most of the health-nut health foods and recipes I see look horrifying. I think food should actually taste good. Swallowing should be a pleasant experience.

Today has been a good day. I still have 550 calories left I can technically "eat" and still stay under budget, and I've had a full size Twix candy bar today! How is that possible you ask? With meals like this:

Pan Seared Tilapia with roasted sweet potatoes and steamed asparagus (pictured below).

This dinner was so tasty! And it was only 313 calories!! BOOYAH! To some extent, it is possible to eat healthier and actually enjoy what you're eating.

To make this, I just spray a frying pan with olive oil cooking spray, and cook the tilapia while squirting lime juice over the top every now and then (about 3-4 times). I season it with lemon pepper. I steamed the asparagus in a pot with a steaming basket and put a small amount of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter on top and some garlic salt. For the sweet potatoes, lightly coat them with olive oil and season with season salt and Italian dressing mix. Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes, turning every 15.

And just like that, you have an amazing dinner that you don't feel guilty about.


No comments:

Post a Comment