Saturday, February 23, 2013

Winter Blue's

I hate winter!! It just keeps snowing and snowing and snowing! I can't take it anymore!! We are completely out of room to shovel the snow anywhere off our driveway. Since our house is north facing, we still have feet of snow while the neighbors across the street have a trace in their yards. We literally have mountains lining our driveway that are taller than us. So, with the new 6 inches we got today and the more snow we're supposed to get tonight, there's literally no way to shovel it off the driveway without catapulting it over the mountains and into the middle of the yard, which takes a disgusting amount of effort for each heave. I've had it!!!

I've been looking for someone to blame for this hellish winter all day. I'm so angry I feel like we're being picked on. I mean, isn't enough, enough? MAKE IT STOP!!

But believe it or not, I didn't come here today to whine and complain, although a good venting is what I needed. I came to throw out some ideas that have kept me on the brink of insanity this winter, even though some days I have lost my marbles. These are the things that have made me forget how much I hate living in Utah right now.

1. Netflix. I've drowned myself in tv shows lately to escape my cabin fever. It's not the best solution but at least there's people talking in my house all the time :)

2. Artificial sun. Yes, I mean tanning. And although I am not a giant fan of it and I think it's dangerous, the once in a while that I go has helped lift my spirits and give me some artificial vitamin D.

3. Exercise. After a 6 week hiatus because of our family being so sick, I've been trying to get back into the grind. It's helped keep me happy and focused on other things. I also recommend fitness classes. They're tons of fun and it gets you out of the house.

4. Projects. Even simple ones would do the trick. We started remodeling our front room months ago. We've been so lazy at just getting it done because it's not easy and we never use it anyway but there's one thing to keep me busy. I also started making a cook book on my computer of all the Pinterest recipes I've found so I can just look on paper instead of having to keep my phone on to read the next steps while cooking.

5. Bubble baths. I love bubble baths anyway, but they also help calm me down when I feel like I'm going to lose it. Sometimes I'll even throw a swim diaper on my toddler and let her join me.

6. Online shopping. I have to admit, I've fallen in love with pushing a few buttons and having a cute outfit arrive at my door. It gives me something to look forward to, even if I can't wear the new shoes until spring.

7. Working. I know not everyone has this option, and work isn't always awesome, but it's nice to go and talk to the great girls I work with and be away for a few hours.

8. Cleaning. I may not be able to go outside and enjoy myself, but at least my house is clean and comfortable. That helps make it a good environment.

So those are the things that have helped me make it through this horrible, history-book-worthy winter. I'd add a vacation on the list but we haven't had one yet. We're supposed to go to Moab in a few weeks. I've had my hopes up so high for this trip because I need a vacation so bad, but I have a feeling the weather may not cooperate, and then I'm really going to lose it. We'll see though. Until then I'll keep focusing on not going insane and praying for grass and sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment